Give your child the best opportunity to develop academically, spiritually and socially.
St Nicholas of Myra is a Catholic coeducational K-6 school that opened in 1852. We are a Christ-centred Catholic faith and learning community who live by the Gospel values of faith, hope and love, as shown by our Patron Saint. As a school community, we firmly believe integrity is essential in living the values of being a safe and welcoming community of students who are compassionate, respectful, just and fair, responsible, and cooperative.
As a community, we encourage respect of self and others through positive relationships and foster the values that Saint Nicholas lived, such as service, mercy, and compassion. We celebrate the value and individuality of each person and hope to develop young people who will go on to make a real difference in our world.
An attractive and safe environment
We believe that students are able to learn at their best when in a safe and attractive environment, as a school, we work to provide modern facilities that cater to the needs of diverse and individual learners. Some of the highlights within our school include:
- a large grassed playing area, soft-fall and undercover area
- a reflective garden for student use
- a well-equipped library
- contemporary learning spaces
- a school hall with multipurpose area, music room and outdoor learning areas
- a specialist music teacher who offers a comprehensive music program
- school liturgical celebrations enhanced by having our Parish Church onsite
- an exciting St Nicholas Day held in December each year to bring together all members of our school community.
- parishioners who help with our school reading program
- extensive opportunities to get involved and represent our school in a variety of sports, such as swimming, athletics, cross-country, soccer, touch football, netball, cricket,
- gymnastics, and general participation in sports clinics focussed on Australian rules football, rugby league, basketball and soccer
- opportunities to represent our school in public speaking
- specialised creative arts and performance activities, such as Choir, Dance Troupe and Flash Mob
Our Catholic Identity
Prayer and liturgy are an integral part of school life at St Nicholas of Myra Primary. As a school community, we celebrate various events throughout the year with prayer and Eucharistic liturgies. We invite parents and carers to attend these events which include:
- welcoming and end-of-year liturgies
- Year 6 Graduation
- St Nicholas and Saint Mary MacKillop Feast Day celebrations
- Holy Week celebrations and weekly parish Mass.
- family celebrations of Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Grandparents Day
- class liturgical celebrations of Eucharist and Reconciliation
- morning prayer at assemblies,
Social Justice and Outreach
Just as St Nicholas of Myra did, our school cares for the poor and those in need. We do this through organising special assemblies for the collection and distribution of food and monetary donations to local charities such as Penrith Kitchen and the St Vincent de Paul Society. Fundraisers are held in Mission Week to support the work of the Children's Mission and the school participates in the Caritas Australia Project Compassion Appeal in Lent each year.
Parish Sacramental Program
The parish Sacramental program is supported by the school Religious Education program, which is taught concurrently. The Religious Education Coordinator distributes information regarding Sacramental Enrolment Nights and facilitates a Sacramental group.
Faith experiences are woven through the full life of the school and are realised within the Religious Education program, liturgy, prayer, reflection, religious symbolism, social justice activities and our values program.
Before and After School Care
Catholic Out of School Hours Care (COSHC) at St Nicholas is one of many services available at selected schools in the Diocese of Parramatta offering before and after school care during school terms.
Various activities are available for the children at our centres ranging from craft, games, puzzles, cooking, dramatic play, construction and outdoor play. Click here to learn more.